Monday, September 12, 2011

9-11 Ten Years Later - My Thoughts

It's really hard to believe that yesterday marked the 10 year anniversary of 9-11.
 
I sat riveted to the TV screen yesterday morning - watching the CBS coverage of the memorial ceremony.
I also sat riveted to the TV screen 10 years ago.
 
I was a freshman in college.
Didn't have a class until 10am, so I was asleep when my roommate flew through the door and turned on the tv.
She had just gotten out of the community showers and as she walked down the hall, every room was open and every tv on.
It was big.

I rolled out of bed just in time to see the 2nd plane hit the towers.
No one said a word.
Classes were cancelled.
We all felt scared.

As reports of each new attack kept pouring in, we wondered what would be next?
Our city?
No one could believe the first plane hitting the tower.
But a second tower?
The pentagon?
A field in PA?
When will it stop?!

This morning was so surreal to live through it again in real time.
The six moments of silence we observed at the exact times of the attacks and the destruction was even more powerful than watching it 10 years ago.

What a horrible morning that was.
What a strange morning yesterday was.
Thinking about how many lives were affected by those events on 9-11 moved me to tears.
I tried to put myself in the shoes of each one.
Could hardly watch as wives, nieces, sons, daughters, and mothers stood up there to read the names of the deceased.

Then it hit me.
 
What if some of the "masterminds" of this attack were watching the coverage along with us?
Do you think it's possible that God could be touching their hearts as they see the faces of the people they hurt?
Of the lives they destroyed or altered completely?

Do you think it's possible that God could reach even the hearts of them?
I'd like to believe so.

I'd like to think there was at least one terrorist watching today.
One heart that has been molded and shaped over the last 10 years - ready for repentance.

Not because they deserve it.
But because God GIFTS it.

But let's not stop there.
 
I think the best "memorial" we can place as a reminder of 9-11 is our lives.

How has MY life changed?
Am I becoming the person I hoped I would 10 years ago?
Am I more compassionate?
Less self-seeking?
More loving? 
 
Am I capturing every moment?
Every second?
Am I keep short accounts with those I love?
And resolving arguments quickly?
Do I tell those around me how much I love them?
Am I kissing enough squishy cheeks?
 
Am I leaving a legacy behind me?
Legacies that love.
And forgive.
And help others.

Because today I was reminded how quickly life could end.

 

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful post today! I remember thinking when Osama bin Ladin died a while back how sad I was that he (apparantly) never turned to the Lord. I do pray that those who are so horribly deceived will learn the Truth about Jesus!
    --Gena

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have such a great gift of finding the positive in ugly situations. Thank you so much for helping me look at things differently! I was blessed to find your blog.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails