Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Can I Protect My Children?!

I'm sure all mothers do things like this.
I'm positive it happens to us all.
So, I'm sharing to tell you that I am just like you.

Here's my GIGANTIC Mothering Mistake Story (for this week):

Little Bug and I were hanging out in the living room.
Him on the floor.
Me on the couch.


As usual, he wonders off into the kitchen.
Not worried.
He has lots of toy baskets in there, too.
I decide to stay in my comfortable position on the couch.


I hear him open the pots and pan cabinet and start banging around.
Not unusual.
I let him play with those so I can cook.


A few minutes later he toddles back into the living room.
With a large pot in one hand.
A HUGE SERVING FORK with sharp ends in the other.
And somehow is balancing a sharp PARING KNIFE in the same hand as the large pot.
Both his arms are out to the side to help him balance this incredibly dangerous weight as he toddles toward me.

Oh dear.

My one year old son is carrying two weapons.

Who knows how long he's been playing with them!

I couldn't believe that there wasn't blood dripping from any part of his body.
God totally protected him.

Which reminded me of something God has been teaching me since Little Bug was born.
HE can protect them when I can't.

I can't always be around them to guard them from danger,
but HE always is.

No matter where life takes us...
(because I have a feeling Detroit is not going to be the most dangerous place we live)
God can protect my kids better than I can.

A friend I once knew 
- struggling with fears of her children being hurt, too - 
took a picture of her kids,
wrote the word "Yours" on the back,
and dropped it in the offering plate at church as it was passed by.
It was a surrendering symbolic gesture that her kids are not her own.
They are God's and she trusts Him with them.


Powerful, huh?

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for this post, I really needed it today. Sometimes I forget God's message that He will protect my daughter and I worry so much. I still worry, but I have such a calming peace in knowing I can't control things and must give my troubles to Him. I love your blog and this post! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went through this when our kiddos were little (now 7 and 9) and there are still days when I want to put them in a bubble and protect them (although it's more their hearts and minds now than physically). One thing someone told me back then was to remember that they aren't ours, they're God's... on loan to us to care for, nurture, train physically, mentally, emotionally, and most importantly spiritually. But for me to be able to do that effectively... I have to be in God's Word daily and holding tight to His hand... otherwise my feet will slip and I won't be able to help train them! Great post! So glad God gave you such a little sweetie! :) -Stacee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two days ago we couldn't find my 7yo son @ IKEA. It took 10 minutes to find him and they implemented Code 99 in an effort to find him and prevent him from leaving the store. The fear that ran through me during this ordeal is indescribable! And I remembered this blog post I read last month. It really brought home how much God loves each and every one of us! http://stuffchristianslike.net/2010/12/the-r-word/

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is awesome! Thank you for the reminder that even though we are the earthly parents, our Heavenly Father is just that, The FATHER! and he can and will protect his children!!!!


    Very Powerful...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe you could create a 31 praying for your children???

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails