Sunday, January 17, 2010

Mexican Seasoning Mix Recipe

I'm sitting here smelling dinner.  Mexican Chicken Tacos... yummmmmmy.  I'm feeling especially proud of my meal because it includes a HOMEMADE Mexican Seasoning!  Yes, we all know we can purchase packs of taco seasoning for .99 at any grocery store.  But, did you know you can make your own for 28 cents?!

Thanks to a new cookbook I have, here is the recipe.  Try it out for yourselves and post the recipe you used the seasoning in as a comment to this blog - it can be used in place of any taco or chili seasoning packet!

Mexican Seasoning Mix
Makes 5 mixes
(can be used for taco or chili seasoning)

-1/4 cup flour
- 2 T chili powder
- 1/4 cup onion powder
- 2 tsp. garlic powder
- 4 tsp. salt
- 4 tsp. paprika
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp. sugar
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 2 tsp. oregano

Put all of the ingredients in a blender, cover, and blend 5 seconds or less until powdery (don't over blend). Use the "pulse" feature if your blender has one. Add more cayenne pepper if you prefer it hotter.

Store in an airtight container for up to 6 months. (I'm planning on getting a smaller one, but as you can see from my picture, I LOVE these airtight containers).

Three tablespoons of this mix equals one purchased packet of taco or chili seasoning mix.

Enjoy!

Oh, and with all that extra money you're saving, why not dump a few extra coins in the Starbucks tip jar... let's make lives better!

2 comments:

  1. Great idea Becky! I love making homemade chili and this would definitely save me the $2.50 I spend on the box of chili mix that I buy every time I want to make it. I can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Nikki! Post the recipe when you have time... Chili is Neil's FAVORITE!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails